13th of January 2016
EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT – Rue Wiertz (Brussels)
Room PHS 01C47 and Room ASP 1G02
09:00 – 13:00/15:00 – 18:30
Based on an analysis of the current situation, the Conference aims to propose an alternative model of European governance so as to realize an effective political integration founded on the rule of law and placing fundamental rights at the core of its own action. In this perspective, particular attention will be paid to the Charter of fundamental rights as being the highest expression of a European Bill of Rights and, at the same time, primary source of law through article 6 TEU.
09:00 – 09:15 – Opening remarks MEP Barbara Spinelli, GUE/NGL
09:15 – 11:00 (Room P1C047)
1° Session: EU Governance vis-à-vis democratic sovereignty: the role of national Parliaments and Constitutions.
Chair: MEP Barbara Spinelli, GUE/NGL
- Ingolf Pernice – Director of the Walter Hallenstein-Institute for European Constitutional Law and Director of the Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society
- Emilio De Capitani – Visiting Professor, Department of Law at the Queen Mary University of London and Executive Director of the Fundamental Rights European Experts Group (FREE Group)
11:00 – 11:15 – Coffee break
11:15 – 13:00 (Room P1C047)
2° Session: The EU Charter of fundamental rights as foundation of a European rule of law?
Chair: MEP Martina Anderson, GUE/NGL
- Giuseppe Bronzini – Judge in the Supreme Court of Cassation, Italy
- Pier Virgilio Dastoli – President of the Italian Council of the European Movement (CIME)
13:00 – 15:00 – Lunch break
15:00 – 16:30 (Room ASP1G2)
3° Session: Economic crisis and austerity: an undemocratic state of emergency?
Chair: MEP Marie-Christine Vergiat, GUE/NGL
- Zoe Konstantopoulou – Former President of the Hellenic Parliament
- Olivier De Schutter – Member of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Professor of Law at the University of Louvain and Director of the Interdisciplinary Research Cell in Human Rights (CRIDHO)
16:30 – 16:45 – Coffee break
16:45 – 18:15 (Room ASP1G2)
4° Session: Towards a Europe based on human and social rights.
Chair: MEP Helmut Scholz, GUE/NGL
- Stefano Rodotà – Professor emeritus of Civil Law, University of Rome “La Sapienza”
- Valsamis Mitsilegas – Head of the Department of Law, Professor of European Criminal Law and Director of the Criminal Justice Centre at Queen Mary University of London
18:15 – 18:30 – Conclusions
MEP Barbara Spinelli, GUE/NGL
NOTA BENE : Should you require a badge to access the European Parliament, please confirm your attendance by Tuesday, 12 January 2016 to: email@example.com
The e-mail should include the following: Your full name Your address Your nationality Your number of passport (& expire date) or ID number Your date of birth